Pages




Family, Friends, Fun, Clutter, Chaos & Much Love....Welcome to our life!
My attempt to keep friends and family near and far updated on the day to day 'doings' of our family, so pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mad Men & Well Behaved Children

So lately I've been hooked on the show Mad Men.  When you have Netflix that tends to happen, getting hooked on shows I mean.  Netflix has all of these marvelous shows, season after season and you just get sucked in...Downton Abbey (that was a doozey! I even dreamed of this show I was so hooked!), The Office, 24, How I Met Your Mother....you get the idea, it just happens.

So back to my new fav, Mad Men.  I had heard great reviews so I decided to check it out.  Three seasons in, and here's a few things that jump out at me.  First, everyone smokes and drinks, a LOT.  And by everyone I mean EVERYONE.  Apparently it was completely acceptable in the 1960's to drink in the beginning, middle and end of one's day and all the way through and in between those times.  By drinking, I don't mean just a beer or glass of wine, I mean straight up gin, rye, and whiskey...they do not mess around!  Which brings me to my next topic from the show, fidelity.  I had no idea this era was filled with drinking cheating spouses as much as it was!  I just always assumed things were different 'back then'.  Not so much because pretty much everyone cheats and no one's the wiser and certainly no one fesses up :/

Lastly and most importantly, the kids ALWAYS listen to their parents and NEVER argue.  Hmmm... consider that for a moment.  No arguing, debating, talking back....nada!  The mom says "Turn off the television and go to bed," and the kids jump right up and obey.  No asking for a later bedtime, whining, wanting a glass of water or snack, no being afraid of the dark, no little ones *gasp* asking to sleep with mom and dad.
So what gives?  Because I will be the first to admit that this is NOT the case in my house.  All three of my kids push and argue and lollygag when told to do something.  Example, it took Reece exactly 32 minutes today to unload the dishwasher, seriously. Why are things so different in 2013 than in 1960?  Maybe I should start drinking my way through my days....hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment